How Lemtrada Is Given
LEMTRADA is given by infusion (IV), 5 days in a row. One year later, there is a second round of IV treatments for 3 days in a row.
LEMTRADA is the first relapsing MS medication that is administered in 8 doses over two years. After your first treatment, you’ll start monthly monitoring to detect potential side effects. Monthly monitoring will continue until 4 years, or longer, after your last treatment course.
After 2 rounds of treatment, you and your healthcare provider will evaluate your relapsing MS and discuss if another MS medication may be needed, if any. In a 2-year study, the majority of patients did not receive another relapsing MS medication after the second round of LEMTRADA treatment.
- It will take approximately 4 hours to receive 1 dose of LEMTRADA. The time may vary depending on a number of factors
- You will be monitored closely during the infusion and for at least 2 hours following the completion of the infusion to watch for any infusion reactions
- You will be given certain medications prior to treatment
- LEMTRADA can cause serious side effects during infusion or up to 24 hours or longer after you receive LEMTRADA. Tell your healthcare provider immediately if you experience any discomfort during or after your infusion. You may also be given other medicines before or after the infusion to try to reduce your chances of getting these reactions or to treat them after they happen
- You should also complete regular monitoring to detect possible side effects after your first LEMTRADA treatment and continue until 4 years, or longer, after your last round of treatment
- You will need monthly blood and urine tests, self-checks, and yearly skin checks. These help to monitor for possible side effects that can show up months or even years after your last infusion, including autoimmune side effects and some kinds of cancers, including skin cancer (melanoma). It is important to have your blood and urine tested, even if you are feeling well and do not have any symptoms from LEMTRADA or your MS. This may help your healthcare provider find side effects early and will increase your chances of getting better
What patients are saying
Take this guide to your next appointment to help start the conversation about treatment with LEMTRADA.